A recipe for carrot butternut ginger soup. Vegan, Whole30, gluten-free, dairy-free but 100% delicious and comforting!
1 tablespoon coconut oil (or olive oil or butter)
1 medium onion, diced
2 tablespoons peeled, grated fresh ginger
1 3/4 lbs carrots, peeled and quartered
1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash (I used frozen)
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Salt, to taste (will vary depending on the stock you use)
- In a large soup pot (I like to use my Le Creuset dutch oven), heat oil. Add the onions and saute until they are soft and translucent. Add carrots, squash, ginger and stock.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 40 minutes, or until carrots can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Get ready to blend! You can either use an immersion blender or working in batches, fill your blender halfway with soup mixture.
- It is VERY IMPORTANT to remove the clear piece from the center of the top of the blender so that the soup can get ventilation and doesn’t explode. This is also why you only fill the blender half way. Place a paper towel or kitchen towel over the hole and then blend until smooth.
- Season with salt to taste and serve.