- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup very cold unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare an 8 x 8 baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Stir together 1/2 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and lemon zest. Cut the butter into small pieces and lightly beat the egg. Use two knives, a fork, your fingers or a pastry cutter and blend butter and egg into flour mixture. The dough will be crumbly. Pat half it into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, mix together remaining 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Very gently mix in the berries and then sprinkle over the first layer of crust. Crumble remaining dough over berries and bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven. The top should be golden brown, you may need to increase baking time a bit depending on your oven.
- Let cool and cut into squares. These store well in the fridge for several days.