I had several thoughts cross my mind when I was running today.
1. The first two minutes of my home run route are brutal. I turn off my street and head straight up a short, steep hill. I always ask myself why I like to run so much when I can feel so winded in the first 2 minutes of a run. It usually takes me a good 5-10 minutes to feel warmed up and comfortable in general.
2. Sullie tagged along on my run. It was 70 degrees and sunny today so tons of people were out running and walking with their pets. I find it incredibly endearing that after 6 years of running with me that Sullie still has hope that there is a chance that I’m going to stop running and let her go play with the dogs we pass. Lots of leash tightening and “leave its” happened today. (Side note, check out those grinch feet! Someone needs a little trim.
3. I can definitely tell that I’ve been lifting and CrossFitting more and yogaing less because my legs were all kinds of tight on my run. Literally burning all the way from the bottom of my calf up my quads and hamstrings and into my hips. I made sure to do some extra stretching and mobility work tonight.
4. Running still isn’t feeling great in general but I managed to get three miles in today but not without walk breaks. It is what it is although as I was huffing and puffing up a hill I did wonder how in the world I ever ran 26.2 miles. Just the other day I couldn’t even recall the last time I ran over 10 miles. Those were different times, that’s for sure!
5. Running without music is much easier on a beautiful day when you can really soak in spring happening all around you.
What do you think about when you’re running?